EPIC partnered with an international consumer fragrance company to develop a pilot-scale process system for the client’s molecular time-release fragrance technology. This project required a rapid design/build schedule to deliver the pilot plant on a condensed timeline.
Client: International Fragrance Company
Industry: Fragrances & Flavors
Key Engineering Features:
- Scaling a lab-scale time-release fragrance technology to a full-scale pilot plant
- Unified five batch blending modules within one working process system
- Encapsulated oils into the base polymer
- Clean-in-place (CIP) unit operation
- Modular design for ease and efficiency of international container shipment
- Overlapping, simultaneous design, fabrication and delivery of two process systems: a commercial production system and a pilot-scale testing module
- Rapid design/build project delivery on a condensed schedule
- Modular design to facilitate the efficient breakdown and minimal on-site reassembly
- Modules needed to fit stringently within ISO containers for streamlined international shipping
- Molecular technology demanded the strictest blending capabilities
- Design and implementation of abrasion-free, low-pulsating, twin screw pumps for formula conservation and integrity
An EPIC Solution:
A consumer fragrance company looking to market-test and scale a new fragrance line needed two new multi-skid systems designed, fabricated, and delivered to two different international plant locations.
EPIC provided turnkey design, fabrication and design/build delivery of two multi-skid blending systems to help the fragrance producer launch a new product built on their lab-tested time-release fragrance technology. EPIC engineers brought decades of pilot process system experience to quickly:
- Deliver efficient batch processing systems to European and Southeast Asian plants — on-schedule, under budget
- Commission systems to begin manufacturing the newly developed product on agreed-upon start-up date
- Provide a Clean-in-Place (CIP) module that was installed and integrated at a different location within the client’s facility
- Sync the CIP module worked with specific single-flow, self-priming Bornemann Pumpsthat were integrated on the batch skids to meet sanitary and sterilization qualifications
- Deliver capabilities to change out and produce multiple fragrance formulas using these pumps and components
Using the new system, the client was able to expand product capabilities to end-users. Both systems were fit within tight shipping spaces and enabled rapid, simple reconstruction upon arrival at their new location.
Prior to shipping, the completed modular batch blending skids were disassembled, securely shipped under ISO container restraints, and reassembled & installed on location. After a successful start-up, EPIC demonstrated the new process in full production before fully handing off production to the client.
Fragrance Pilot Plant Video
For more views of the pilot plant described above, click the video below.